- Acting Professor, Global Health
- Chief Technical Officer, Coaltion for Global Hepatitis Elimination, Task Force for Global Health
- Member, Governing Board of the EASL International Liver Foundation
- Member, Oversight Committee Fund for Elimination of Viral Hepatitis
325 9th Avenue
Seattle, WA 98104
Select from the following:
Dr. Stefan Wiktor is a public-health physician with more than twenty-five years’ experience in epidemiologic research and in the implementation of public-health programs for the control of infectious diseases. Dr. Wiktor started his public-health career at the U.S. National Cancer Institute where he conducted research on the epidemiology of human retroviruses. After joining the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, he conducted research studies of HIV-1 and HIV-2 in Ivory Coast, West Africa and led the implementation of a large-scale HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment program in Tanzania. Dr. Wiktor’s research in Africa showed that anti-retroviral medications were effective in preventing mother-to-child HIV transmission. He was also was responsible for showing that antibiotics reduced bacterial infections in HIV-infected adults, thereby reducing the morbidity and mortality of the disease. This research led to the WHO recommendation for antibiotic prophylaxis to prevent deaths in HIV-infected adults. Most recently, Dr. Wiktor was the Team Lead of the World Health Organization’s Global Hepatitis Programme where he led the development of several guidelines and policy documents and assisted countries in the implementation of comprehensive viral hepatitis prevention and control programs.
- MD (Pennsylvania State University)
- MPH (Johns Hopkins University)
- BA (University of Pennsylvania)
- I-TECH Botswana
- I-TECH South Africa
- I-TECH Zimbabwe
- International AIDS Education and Training Center (IAETC)
- Strengthening the Health System Capacity to Implement HIV Prevention, Care, and Treatment Services in the Republic of South Africa
- Supporting the Provision of Comprehensive HIV Testing, Treatment, Care, and Support Services in the Republic of Zimbabwe
Wiktor SZ, Ekpini ER, Karon JM, Nkengasong J, Maurice C, Sibailly ST, Roels TH, Kouassi MK, Lackritz EM, Coulibaly I-M, Greenberg AE. Short course of oral zidovudine to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV-1 in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire: a randomized trial. Lancet 1999, 353: 781-85
Wiktor SZ, Sassan-Morokro M, Grant AD, Abouya YL, Karon JM, Maurice C, Djomand G, Ackah AN, Domoua K, Kadio A, Yapi A, Combe P, Tossou O, Roels TH, Lackritz EM, Coulibaly D, De Cock KM., Coulibaly I-M, Greenberg AE. Efficacy of trimethoprim-sulphamethoxazole prophyloaxis to decrease morbidity and mortality in HIV-infected patients with tuberculosis in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire: a randomized controlled trial. Lancet 1999, 353:1469-75.
Wiktor, S. How feasible is the global elimination of HCV infection?". Lancet (Jan 28 2019). pii: S0140-6736(18)32750-8. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(18)32750-8. [Epub ahead of print]
Cooke GS, Andrieux-Meyer I, Applegate TL, Atun R, Burry JR, Cheinquer H…, Wiktor, S.Z. Accelerating the elimination of viral hepatitis: a Lancet Gastroenterology & Hepatology Commission. Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019;4(2):135-84.