- Associate Professor, Global Health
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Epidemiology
Harborview Medical Center
235 9th Avenue
Seattle, WA 98104
Select from the following:
Dr. Slyker’s research focuses on maternal-child HIV infection. She has worked in Kenya since 2000 on studies examining HIV transmission, infant immunity to HIV, viral co-infections (EBV and CMV), and disease pathogenesis. She also leads a research programme devoted to improving HIV testing services for older children and adolescents at risk for HIV infection. She is also Director of the Global WACh HIV Core, which focuses on research and mentorship for new investigators focusing on maternal and infant pediatric infectious diseases.
- PhD (Open University)
- MSc (Oxford University (UK))
- BA (Colgate University)
- Child and Adolescent Health (incl. Pediatrics)
- Child Mortality
- Health Interventions
- HIV Transmission
- Infectious Diseases
- Infectious Diseases (other than STDs)
- Maternal Child Health (incl. Reproductive Health)
- Molecular Immunology
- Oral Health
- STDs (other than HIV)
Herpes virus (EBV/CMV) co-infections in HIV-1 infected women and infants, T cell immunology, pediatric HIV testing.
- Integrating oral health into the pediatric HIV care continuum: Baseline data of oral and systemic inflammation
- CMV, EBV & HIV pathogenesis in HIV-infected infants
- Cytomegalovirus (CMV) viremia and mortality in HIV-infected hospitalized children
- Financial Incentives to Increase Pediatric HIV Testing (FIT Trial)
- Immunologic Correlates of EBV Containment in HIV Infected Infants
- Maternal-infant virome transmission: the role of HIV and antiretroviral therapy
- Transitioning from Pediatric to Adult HIV Care in Kenya
Slyker JA, Richardson B, Chung M, Atkinson C, Ásbjörnsdóttir K, Lehman D, Boeckh M, Emery V, Kiarie J, John-Stewart G. Maternal highly active antiretroviral therapy reduces vertical CMV transmission but does not reduce breast milk CMV levels. AIDS Res Hum Retrov 2017; 33(4):332-338 PMID: 27796131 PMCID: 5372773
Wagner, A. Wachira CM, Njuguna IN, Maleche-Obimbo E, Sherr K, Inwani I, Hughes J, Wamalwa D, John-Stewart G, Slyker JA. Active referral of children of HIV-positive adults reveals high prevalence of undiagnosed HIV. JAIDS 2016; 73:e83-e89.
Richardson BA, John-Stewart G, Atkinson C, Nduati R, Ásbjörnsdóttir KH, Boeckh M, Overbaugh J, Emery V, Slyker JA. Vertical cytomegalovirus transmission from HIV-infected women randomized to formula feeding versus breastfeeding. J Infect Dis 2016; 213(6):992-8.
Slyker JA, Casper C, Tapia K, Richardson B, Bunts L, Huang M-L, Maleche-Obimbo E, Nduati R, John-Stewart, GC. Clinical and virologic manifestations of primary Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) infection in Kenyan infants born to HIV-infected women. J Infect Dis 2013; 207:1798-806.
Slyker JA, Lohman-Payne BL, Reilly, M, Dong T, Maleche-Obimbo E, Atzberger A, Taylor S, Mbori-Ngacha D, John-Stewart GC, Rowland-Jones S. Phenotypic characterization of HIV-specific CD8 T cells during acute and chronic infant HIV-1 infection. PLoS ONE, 2011; 6: e20375.