- Professor, Global Health
- Vice Dean for Education, School of Public Health
- Professor, Epidemiology
- Professor, Medicine - Allergy and Infectious Dis.
- Associate Chair for Academic Programs, Global Health
Ninth & Jefferson Building
325 9th Avenue
Seattle, WA 98104
Select from the following:
Dr. Carey Farquhar, MD, MPH, is a professor at the University of Washington in the Departments of Global Health, Medicine, and Epidemiology. Dr. Farquhar is also the Associate Chair for Academic Programs in the Department of Global Health at the University of Washington. She received her MD at Harvard Medical School. She completed a residency and chief residency in internal medicine and a fellowship in infectious disease at the University of Washington, where she also earned a Masters in Public Health. She mentors US and Kenyan trainees and currently conducts research in Kenya on HIV testing and partner notification services, HIV and HCV diagnosis and access to treatment among persons who inject drugs,and non-communicable diseases among HIV-infected persons.
She has published more than 160 peer-reviewed papers and is the Director of the UW Kenya Research and Training Center and 3 international training programs: International AIDS Research and Training Program (IARTP), Afya Bora Consortium Fellowship in Global Health Leadership, and Global and Rural Health Fellowship. She is also Director of the UW Internal Medicine Global Health Pathway. Dr. Farquhar teaches 3 courses in the School of Public Health -- AIDS: A Multidisciplinary Approach, the Responsible Conduct of Research, and the Integrated Residency Global Health Leadership course. In addition, she sees HIV-infected patients one half-day per week at Madison Clinic and attends on the wards at Harborview Medical Center. NA
- MD (Harvard University)
- MPH (University of Washington)
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Child and Adolescent Health (incl. Pediatrics)
- Clinical Mentoring
- Education and Training
- Family Planning
- Health Systems Strengthening and Human Resources Development
- HIV Transmission
- Implementation Science
- Infectious Diseases
- Infectious Diseases (other than STDs)
- Maternal Child Health (incl. Reproductive Health)
- Non-Communicable Diseases
- STDs (other than HIV)
AIDS epidemiology and HIV prevention in Africa; heterosexual and vertical HIV transmission
- Afya Bora Consortium Fellowship in Global Health Leadership
- Implementing Assisted Partner Services to HIV Test and Treat Men in Western Kenya
- Improving the HIV Care Cascade in Kenya through Implementation Science Training
- Integrating Assisted Partner Services and Phylogenetics for HIV and HCV Prevention
- Molecular epidemiology of HIV and HCV transmission among PWID in Nairobi, Kenya
- The Effect of HAART on Antibody Responses to Measles and Tetanus Immunizations Among Kenyan HIV-1 Infected Children
- Women and HIV: Translation of Research into Practice
Farquhar C, Nduati RW, Wasserheit JN. Ethical Obligations in Short-Term Global Health Clinical Experiences: The Devil is in the Details. Ann Intern Med. 2018 Mar 27. doi: 10.7326/M18-0566 [Epub ahead of print].
Newman LP1, Njoroge A, Magaret A, Chohan BH, Gitomea VW, Wald A, Gorstein J, Overbaugh J, Wamalwa D, Maleche-Obimbo E, Nduati R, Farquhar C. Sustained Responses to Measles Revaccination at 24 Months in HIV-Infected Children on Antiretroviral Therapy in Kenya. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2017 Feb 13. PMID: 28198789.
Cherutich P, Golden MR, Wamuti B, Richardson BA, Ásbjörnsdóttir KH, Otieno FA, Ng'ang'a A, Mutiti PM, Macharia P, Sambai B, Dunbar M, Bukusi D, Farquhar C; aPS Study Group. Assisted partner services for HIV in Kenya: a cluster randomised controlled trial. Lancet HIV. 2016 Nov 29. pii: S2352-3018(16)30214-4. PMID: 27913227 PMCID: PMC4955244.
Krakowiak D, Kinuthia J, Osoti AO, Asila V, Gone MA, Mark J, Betz B, Parikh S, Sharma M, Barnabas R
Farquhar C. Home-Based HIV Testing Among Pregnant Couples Increases Partner Testing and Identification of Serodiscordant Partnerships. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2016 Aug 1;72 Suppl 2:S167-73. PubMed PMID: 27355505
Kiarie JN, Farquhar C, Redfield R, Bosire K, Nduati RW, Mwanda W, M'Imunya JM, Kibwage I. Strengthening health systems by integrating health care, medical education, and research: University of Nairobi experience. Acad Med. 2014 Aug;89(8 Suppl):S109-10. PMID: 25072562, PMCID: PMC4119602.