- Assistant Professor, Global Health
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Laboratory Medicine and Pathology
- Director, Laboratory Systems Strengthening Team I-TECH
- Director, Certificate Program in Laboratory Leadership and Management
- Associate Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Board Member, Diagnostic Microbiology Development Program
- Advisor, Global Emergency Care Collaborative
International Training & Education Center for Health (I-TECH)
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98105
Select from the following:
Dr. Perrone is an Assistant Professor of Global Health and Laboratory Medicine at the University of Washington in Seattle and is a member of the core faculty in the International Training and Education Center for Health where she leads the Laboratory Systems Strengthening portfolio. Dr. Perrone’s research and practice work concentrates on infectious disease diagnosis and surveillance, laboratory systems and capacity building, and improving human resources for health in resource-limited countries. She has led and managed an international team since 2015, spanning work in multiple countries and a portfolio >17 million USD in funding. Before joining the UW Dr. Perrone worked for the US Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization supporting the Global Influenza Surveillance Program and has worked in >25 countries in Africa, Asia and the Middle East and North Africa in her career. Dr Perrone has published 23 peer reviewed manuscripts, a book chapter, and >20 publicly available public health practice products including national strategic plans, national guidelines, and e-learning tools for health professionals among others.
- PhD (University of Texas (Galveston))
- MSPH (Tulane University)
- BS (Fordham University)
- Biodefense Infectious Diseases
- Community Health Workers
- Disease Surveillance
- Distance Learning
- Education and Training
- Global Health Governance
- Health Information Systems
- Health Systems Strengthening and Human Resources Development
- Health Technologies
- Implementation Science
- Infectious Diseases
- Infectious Diseases (other than STDs)
- Laboratory Strengthening
- Leadership and Organizational Development
- Operations Research
- Quality Improvement
- Zoonotic Diseases and Animal Health
Clinical and public health laboratory capacity; laboratory systems strengthening; laboratory leadership and management; infectious disease diagnosis; surveillance and response; laboratory data utilization for evidence based decision making; One Health.
- I-TECH Certificate Program in Laboratory Leadership and Management
- I-TECH Technical Assistance to Lao PDR
- Implementation of an in-service training program to strengthen the quality and capacity of infectious disease diagnosis and surveillance in public health laboratories across the Mekong Delta region
- Mekong Health Collaborative
- Strengthening leadership and quality management systems for an improved and sustainable laboratory network in Cote d’Ivoire
- Support laboratory management and laboratory workforce development to promote integrated, evidence-based HIV/ TB patient services in South Africa
Gopolang, F., Kruuner,A., Kasvosve, I., Gomo,R., Motlhabane,T., Chohan, B., Zulu-Mwamba, F., Nsama, D., Shibemba, A., Kaoma, D., Nonde, L., Campbell, N., Noble, M.A., Downer, A., Soge, O., Sadate-Ngatchou, P., Ndongmo, C., Nsofwa, D., Steinau, M., Perrone, L.A. Implementation of a Professional Development Program in Laboratory Leadership and Quality Management in Zambia from 2016 - 2018. In press, African Journal of Laboratory Medicine.
Ong,SK, Donovan, G, Ndefru, N, Song, S, Leang, C, Sek, S, Noble, M, Perrone, LA. Strengthening the clinical laboratory workforce in Cambodia; a case study of a mixed-method in-service training program to improve laboratory quality management system oversight. In press, BMC Human Resources for Health.
Kirk, M, Assoa, PH, Iiams-Hauser, C, Antilla, J, Steele, C, Rossum, G, Andoa, P, Sadate-Ngatchou, P, Abiola, N, Amani Koffi, JB, Adje, C, Perrone, LA. Development and implementation of an electronic dashboard to monitor HIV viral load testing in Cote d’Ivoire. In press, African Journal of Laboratory Medicine.
Perrone, LA, Voeurng, V, Sek,S, Song, S, Vong, N, Tous, C, Flandin, JF, Confer, D, Costa, A, Martin, R . Improving laboratory testing quality and capacity in Cambodia using a mentored laboratory quality stepwise implementation (LQSI) approach. Bull World Health Org. 2016;94:743–751.
Perrone, LA, Confer, D, Scott, E, Livingston, L, Bradburn, C, McGee, A, Furtwangler, T, Downer, A, Mokdad, AH, Flandin, JF, Shotorbani, S, Asghar, H, Esmat Tolbah, H, Ahmed, HJ, Alwan, A, Martin, R. Implementation of a Mentored Professional Development Program in Laboratory Leadership and Management in 10 Countries in the Middle East and North Africa. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal. 2016;22 (11): 832-839.