Master of Public Health


Tuition rates vary by credit when registering for between 2-6 credits, and again when registering for 19 credits and above. When registering for between 7-18 credits the tuition rate charged does not vary. Tuition rates can be found on the Office of Planning and Budgeting website; estimated student budgets can be found on the UW Financial Aid website. Assuming no financial aid, fellowships, or any other funding, the below is what students will be charged for tuition (and most fees) for 2020-2021 if registered for between 7-18 credits. Note: concurrent students pay the higher tuition of the two programs in which they are enrolled.

  • $22,881 ($7,627 per quarter for three quarters) for Washington state residents
  • $39,195 ($13,065 per quarter for three quarters) for non-residents and international students

Off-setting Program Costs

Unfortunately the MPH program does not have funding to offer the majority of entering students. Funding is available on a case-by-case basis to incoming students from underrepresented U.S. populations and to students from low and middle income countries. Eligible students will be contacted when, and if, funding becomes available. The Graduate Funding Information Service (GFIS) is a great resource that works with current and admitted UW graduate students, helping them identify and locate funding opportunities for graduate school-related expenses including tuition, research, conference and research travel.

The majority of students don’t register for classes in their second year unless they are funded in some way. This is possible when all required course are taken in year one. Options include:

  • securing FLAS funding which covers all tuition plus a living stipend (see below); 
  • securing a Teaching Assistant, Research Assistant, or Staff Assistant position which covers tuition, a living stipend, and health insurance (see below);
  • or spending a quarter or more abroad to complete a practicum or thesis utilizing the Foreign Study/Independent Learning option where students pay a $450 fee and are able to register for up to 18 credits, ideally while also securing one of the many travel grants available (up to $4000).

Financial Assistance for International Students

The International Student Services office has information for international students looking to study at the UW. 

Financial Aid

The UW Office of Student Financial Aid prepares financial aid packages for admitted students. To receive a financial aid package, applicants must complete the FAFSA and have results sent to the UW (school code 003798). Applicants are encouraged to apply for financial aid and funding when completing their application. Applicants can file beginning October 1; the UW's priority filing date is January 15.  In order to qualify for financial aid, applicants must have completed the FAFSA and:

  • be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or other eligible non-citizen.
  • be admitted to the University in an approved degree or certificate program (review your options for aid if you are a non-matriculated student).
  • be registered with the Selective Service (if required).
  • be making satisfactory academic progress (according to the Office of Financial Aid) towards a degree (if already enrolled).
  • provide financial information as required.

Applicants are not eligible for financial aid if they:

  • are in default on a previous student loan or owe a repayment on a grant or loan for which you were not eligible.
  • have loans in excess of the aggregate limits of the aid programs.
  • become disqualified based on a conviction for a drug-related offense while you were enrolled in school and receiving federal student aid.

Research/Teaching/Staff Assistantships

Research Assistant (RA), Teaching Assistant (TA), and Staff Assistant (SA) positions, also known as Academic Student Employee (ASE) positions are jobs that often provide tuition waivers in addition to insurance and monthly stipends. The positions are generally for 10 to 20 hours of work per week and can be year-long or quarterly in duration. TA positions offered by the Department of Global Health will be sent out a quarter in advance via email. RA positions are posted as they become available. Global Health appointments are rare, however, Global Health students often have success securing positions in disciplines where they have prior education and/or training. For example, having an undergraduate degree in Psychology could help secure a TA position job in an undergraduate Psychology course. More information below. 


Fellowship funding does not have work attached and can range in amount of funding. The below fellowships support student costs for tuition and travel.

  • Graduate School Listing of Fellowships

  • GO-MAP Diversity Fellowships & Awards

  • FLAS Fellowships: Awards provide financial support for students wanting to acquire foreign language skills. This fellowship is ideal for students in their second year of study as many of the fellowships require intensive language courses which conflict with core first year MPH coursework. Fellows receive:

    • Academic Year Graduate: US$18,000 tuition, US$15,000 living stipend
    • Academic Year Undergraduate: US$10,000 tuition,US$5,000 living stipend
    • Summer Graduate/Undergraduate: US$5,000 tuition,US$2,500 living stipend
  • International Research and Study Fellowships: Chester Fritz and Boeing International endowments: These one-quarter grants provide support to UW graduate students doing international research or study. Successful applicants are awarded either a Chester Fritz Fellowship or a Boeing International Fellowship. The fellowships are available to fund research and/or study periods of one quarter (three full months) Awardees will receive a stipend of $2,400 per month, and paid health insurance (GAIP). During the quarter of their award, fellows are required to register for an independent learning program through UW Study Abroad. The program fee is covered by this fellowship. No extra money is included for airfare. Deadline to apply: early February.

  • Department of Global Health Fellowships: The Department of Global Health Fellowships provide financial assistance to graduate students, professional students, and medical residents at the University of Washington to help support fieldwork experience in global health. The Department of Global Health Fellowships are managed by the Global Health Resource Center. Grants are up to $4,000 and support room and board, travel health preparation, travel insurance and/or supplies. Deadline to apply: mid-March.

  • The Jackson School offers a number of funding opportunities. These include scholarships available through the Jackson School and individual Jackson School programs, including:  ​

  • Students who wish to pursue a thesis, practicum, or independent study abroad, can apply for Independent Learning through UW Study Abroad.

Independent Learning (via Study Abroad Office)

By enrolling in Independent Learning you maintain your UW students status and enrollment for your period of study abroad but do not pay tuition or program fees for credits earned. Instead, you pay a flat administrative fee; currently $450 per quarter.  Independent Learning is the most affordable of all study abroad options available but requires a high degree of personal independence and preparation. To apply for independent learning:

Late fees may apply for applications submitted after the priority deadlines listed below.

  • Autumn Quarter – July 15
  • Winter Quarter – November 1
  • Spring Quarter – February 1
  • Summer Quarter – April 15